Sterling silver? Silver plated? Gold plated or gold filled? What what is rhodium? There are so many metals to choose from when creating and buying jewelry!
Here are my top 5 online resources to learn about jewelry metals:
- I found a great article on FireMountainGems with a guide to the different jewelry metals, including silver plated and gold plated metals. It’s informative and “to the point”. I like it mainly because it doesn’t go into detail with every metal, but rather gives a short overview on all the different metals.
- Gilletts Jewellers has a very detailed article on precious metals – specifically gold and silver. I especially love that the article also states the different gold colors and carats, and has a “quick reference” guide of choosing the right metal for each occasion (engagement rings, wedding rings, bracelets etc.).
- The article on LuShae Jewelry gives more focus on silver, gold and rhodium and when to use each one. It is also a good resource to understand the different metals.
- The metal guide at H. Samuel is both informative and also has amazing pictures. Especially the articles about the two-colored and three-colored gold.
- Another “to the point” article listing different metals can be found on Aquinas and more
Have fun reading! I learned a lot from these articles, hope you’ll enjoy them as well!